The Directorate General of Employment & Training or DGET is a part of Ministry of Labour & Employment, which focuses on providing vocational training including Women's Vocational Training and Employment Services. It is an apex organization for coordinating and developing programmes for women and enhancing programmes to assist SC/ST and differently abled people at National level. This programme is highly useful for school leavers and existing workers. The Ministry of Labor helps un-organized sector by developing new strategic framework in close consultation with industry and providing them with social and economic background in skill development.
The employment services provided are operated through Employment Exchanges of countrywide network and DGET also operates Vocational Training Schemes. Training of instructors and trade testing are some of the common responsibilities of DGET, which also includes developing and implementing programmes of training for instructor trainees, craftsmen and apprentices, and organizing training at advanced levels of skills for workers and supervisors. Besides, priority is given to cover children above the age of 14 years and engage them to learn employable skills in order to get gainful employment. The Directorate General of Employment & Training (DGET) promotes nationwide training of around 6 lakh people annually.
Functions of DGET :
- Framing the standards, norms and policies for vocational trai ning for all
- Updating, diversifying and expanding training facilities
- Conducting and organizing specialized training and research
- Implementing, regulate and increasing the scope of training of apprentices
- Provide guidance and employment counseling
- Collecting and disseminating the information that concerns employment and unemployment